Thursday, December 18, 2014

Making the light shield

I have glued it together in the following manner and am waiting for the results.

Placed the acrylic sheet in the unit


taped the joints

cut the tape on the 2 top edges and peeled it open Then removed some of the paper

Masked the edges

Went outside with my safety gear and a large rubber band.
At this point I swabbed my rather thick adhesive on the exposed edges closest to the joint, and folded the sides up and added the rubber band to "clamp" the parts.


I'm waiting for the glue to dry. You could totally run the machine with it simply taped together. being able to see so much is neat but not really required. 
I went back out a while later and peeled the masking tape off the inside I didn't want it to get glued down,

Here you can see the adhesive that made it out through the tabs
The adhesive I used has a bit of a setup time so I could rub the excess glue off these tabs for a cleaner look.
Finished shield

Closeup of E6000 on the inside
Not perfect but more than acceptable for my uses, to get an optically cleaner bond would have required a proper adhesive. Like Weldon, the E6000 I used is similar in consistency to silicon caulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment